Create a track from scratch
Control everything right from the start.
This guide explains how to create a track from scratch from Web UI and Instruqt CLI.
Did you check the Build tracks page? This page introduces the concept of building your first Instruqt tracks.
Pick the Web UI or the Instruqt CLI route depending on your preference:
🌐 Web UI
💻 Instruqt CLI
- 2.Click Create track. ↳ Instruqt shows the Start creating content page.
- 3.Click Create from scratch. ↳ Instruqt shows the Track details pop up.
- 4.In the Title field, enter the track title. ↳ As you enter the title, Instruqt automatically generates a slug in the Track slug field.You can manually change the track slug field if desired.
- 5.Click Create↳ Track is created & Instruqt shows Track detail page.
- 6.In the Time limit field, set the maximum time a user can have the track running for.
- 7.In the Teaser field, enter the short track description (optional).
- 8.In the Editor tab of the Description field, enter the track description in Markdown (optional).
- 9.In the Assignment display settings, set your desired layout for your challenge assignment (optional).
- 10.Click Next. ↳ Instruqt shows the Sandbox page, which gives you the option to select Add a host, or Skip.
- 11.If you click Add a host, you will have the option to add either a Container or a Virtual machine (VM). In either case, you must specify a Hostname and an image, then click Add host. You can repeat this process as many times as desired, or skip this step entirely.For both containers and VMs there are two types of images: Preset images provided by Instruqt, and Choose your own images provided by you. Read more about custom images.
- 12.Once you have added all the hosts you need, click Next. ↳ Instruqt shows the Challenge page.
- 13.In the Title field, enter the challenge title.
- 14.In the Teaser field, enter the short challenge description (optional).
- 15.Click Next. ↳ Instruqt shows the Challenge - Introduction page.
- 16.In the Select a type list, select the Text type.
- 17.In the Editor tab of the Description field, enter the challenge description in Markdown.
- 18.Click Next twice. ↳ Instruqt shows the Challenge - Assignment and tabs page.
- 19.In the Editor tab of the Assignment field, enter the assignment text in Markdown.
- 20.In the Tab title field, enter the name of the tab.
- 21.In the Tab type list, select the tab of your liking.
- 22.In the Sandbox host list, select one of the added containers or virtual machines. Or leave the selection empty.
- 23.Click Next. ↳ Instruqt shows the Launch your track page.
- 24.Click Finish. ↳ Instruqt builds the track and shows the Track overview page.
- 1.Type the following command to create a track:instruqt track create
- 2.Enter the track title:==> Track title: TRACK_TITLE
- 3.Enter option 1 to select
From scratch:==> Start with an empty track or use a template: From scratchFor full flexibility, start with an empty track From a templateTo get started quickly, start from one of our templatesPlease select your method: 1↳ Instruqt CLI creates the track and shows this output:==> Creating track TEAM/TRACK_NAME==> Creating track filesCreated track directory and configuration files:TRACK_NAME├── config.yml└── track.ymlOK⇨
TRACK_TITLEwill contain your team and track title.'
- 4.Change into the track directory:cd TRACK_NAME
- 5.Push the track to Instruqt:instruqt track push
Well done! Now you can play your track to see if everything works as expected.